Subtraction Placement PDF
Click on the title to download this free Subtraction Placement PDF to determine which subtraction booklet is the right one for your student(s).
This is a downloadable PDF for you to print.
Student Placement Assessment worksheets are located at the end of each Assessment Guide
Beginning subtraction is found in Patterns in Arithmetic: Book 1 and Book 2 which covers the curriculum for six to seven-year-old students (first and second grades). These composite books teach basic concepts and number sentences for addition and subtraction. Book 2 teaches the principles of regrouping (carrying) in addition.
Booklet 3 - General Principles of Regrouping (Borrowing)
Designed for seven to nine-year-old students (third grade) who have never had formal instruction in regrouping (borrowing) in subtraction.
Prerequisite: Know regrouping (carrying) in addition
- uses manipulatives for concept development.
- teaches several strategies for doing subtraction with multiple methods of breaking up larger numbers and regrouping them for subtraction
- the standard procedure in expanded and short notation formats.
- generally results in strong understanding of regrouping.
Booklet 4 - Large Numbers and Practice
Designed for eight to ten-year-old students (fourth grade) who have had formal instruction in regrouping in subtraction.
Prerequisite: Booklet 3 - Subtraction or previous instruction in regrouping
- reviews regrouping, reinforcing the mechanics of standard Base Ten Subtraction and provides practice to develop fluency.
Base Ten Subtraction - Chrysalis Charter School
Designed for seven to ten-year-old students (third and fourth grade) who have never had formal instruction in regrouping (borrowing) in subtraction or those who need reteaching.
Prerequisite: knowing regrouping (carrying) in addition
- is an alternative to Subtraction Booklet 3.
- is easier and uses only Base Ten regrouping in the format that many people were taught
- is used for slower learners or special education students, or students who need basic reteaching or for students for whom Subtraction: Booklet 3 is too difficult.
Answer Keys for Subtraction Placement Assessments are at the end of the Assessment Guide.